Friday, February 22, 2013

Day 32 - Intentional Goodness in the Classroom



Do your students feel safe in your classroom? Does everyone feel safe in your school? Is there a way to create a safe environment in the classroom? It’s not an easy concept, but critical to learning. One of the most important things we can do as educators is to help our students feel secure.

A verse to ponder

Psalm 23 - The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures,

He leads me besides the still waters,
He restores my soul.

He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,

For You are with me;

Your rod and Your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;
    
My cup runs over.
Surely your goodness and mercy will follow me

All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord

Forever.

An intentional blessing for the classroom

If we step back a bit and seek to find one who feels the least secure, it probably won’t be that hard. Show intentional goodness to one who is nervous, upset or who brings the baggage of home to school each day.  Purposely use kind words of reassurance, “Have I ever told you have glad I am that you are in my class?” or “Do you know how much I look forward to seeing you each day?” This practice is good for the giver and receiver, particularly if it is intentional towards one who doesn’t deserve it. Try it to see what goodness can do.

A focus of reflection

About a month ago, I completed the Fruit of the Spirit related to the classroom and the one I wrote about Goodness in the Classroom encouraged me to read the verse from today aloud. As you reflect on Psalm 23, isn’t it amazing how safe God makes us feel.  Let’s pray for His wisdom to create a safe and secure environment for our students and colleagues and give Him thanks.


Day 34
(School wide intentional goodness at Piqua Jr. High)


As always, I am
Prayerfully dependent,

K

Karen C. Seddon
CEAI, State Director, Florida
kseddon@ceai.org

No comments:

Post a Comment