Welcome back to the 2015-2016 school year! This is the time of new beginnings: new ideas, new students, sometimes new schools and new classrooms and new colleagues. Let's concentrate also on new prayers. Prayer is the foundation of your successful classroom. Prayer releases unity in our profession with God's favor. Prayer is your direct connection to the Teacher of Teachers! Pray for all the new beginnings. Pray for new ideas to inspire your students. Pray for your new students. Sit in their desks and pray individually for them, prayer walk your classroom and school. Pray for your colleagues because we all know there is great pressure in the beginning of the year to get all the ducks in a row.
You are not alone! There are thousands of Christians in the public schools beginning the school year just like you. In fact, there are probably a lot more right in your own school that you are not aware of. Begin praying where you are for those in your sphere of influence. Ask God to bring you prayer partners. When we pray God's Word we know it is His promise. Jesus told us in Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three gather in My name, there I am with them," How incredibly exciting is that! As a Christian, know your legal rights. Respect the law. Read the first entry of this 16-9 blog for a more in-depth understanding, but in a nut shell - You are Congress when you are on the clock. According to the 1st Amendment, " Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" That means that while you are being paid by the school district, you cannot establish a religion in your classroom by praying with the students or proclaiming your religious beliefs. However, the second part "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" also means that when you are not on the clock, you are a 1st Amendment protected American who can gather with your colleagues to pray and study God's Word. What a blessing you will be to your school as a legal and graceful Christian.
Here are some tools for your new school year:
- Join the 1:16PM Prayer Movement by setting an alarm at 1:16PM each school day and join hundreds of other educators across the time zones as we petition God for school requests. We even offer text prompts at either 6:30am or 1:00pm www.one16pray.com
- Begin a 1st step prayer. The 1st step that you take out of your car and walk into your building, begin praying for your colleagues and students and the specific needs of your school.
- Be in the Word of God daily. Listen to Around the Word in 180 Days specifically designed for educator needs with a Biblical worldview. Around the Word in 180 Days begins on August 24, 2015 for this school year. www.aw180days.com.
- Download the CEAI (Christian Educator) app for a wealth of resources and tools for your Christian walk in the public schools. http://get.theapp.co/394c
- Subscribe to Christian Educators Daily Devotionals on school days.
Most of all, give praise and thanks to God for being an educator. Whether you are a Christian teacher, custodian, secretary, paraprofessional, administrator or bus driver, God has placed you at your specific school for a specific purpose of touching the lives of those around you for His glory. May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord shine His face upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord turn His countenance towards you and give you peace.
Abundant blessings for the 2015-2016 school year.
As always, I am
PS. Don’t forget to spread the word about the 1:16PM Prayer Movement and Around the Word in 180 Days:
• Visit, "like", and add comments the 1:16PM Facebook page and the Around the World in 180 days Facebook page.
• Sign up for text message prayer prompts from Remind 101
• Follow us on Twitter for the prayer prompts @one16pray
May God bless you with success His way this 2015-2016 school year.
Note: To more fully understand the 16-9 Movement, please read the first blog entry by clicking here.
Christian Educators Association International is the only professional association in the United States specifically for Christian educators in public schools. CEAI protects our members first in prayer, next with excellent professional liability insurance and other benefits while helping them live out their high calling as a Christian in the public school.