The 18th annual Honor The Grads ceremony in St. Johns County, FL was held Monday evening, April 25, 2016. This prestigious award, sponsored by Christian Educators Assoc. in St. Johns County, had become one of the most important events of the year in the lives of these students. Can you imagine being chosen by your peers as an example of integrity and living out your faith throughout high school? The best part is that these students are chosen by their peers!
The format of the program is beautifully simple. The family and friends of the award winners are lead in a few praise songs and then the graduates are given the opportunity to share a favorite verse, tell about their future plans and give a testimony. It never ceases to amaze us how the students can so boldly and passionately share their love of the Lord and their desire to serve. Some of the comments shared by the graduates this year include:
- The way of God was always the way to go in our family.
- We prayed with our team every game and in every sport. As athletes, we play for Him.
- Knowing how great He is motivates me.
- Be obedient when God says it's time to go.
- Everything you do has consequences. If I'm willing to work hard at football, why wouldn't I work hard for God?
- It could be worse. I could be getting what I deserve.
- I want to shine. God speaks through us.
- Our own school is a mission field for us.
- The Body of Christ is one big family.
- Every day is a mission trip at school. Embrace your place!
- One of the students even sang their testimony.
After the student testimonies, the families and supporters gather around for a time of prayer from all who feel led. The prayer time was closed by Rev. Joseph Smith, the pastor of Switzerland Community Church who was himself a recipient of their previous award years ago. All were then invited for a time of fellowship and snacks.
Congratulations to all the graduates and their families.
The 2016 Honor the Grads awardees are:
Bartram High School
Creekside High School
Nease High School
Ponte Vedra High School
St. Augustine High School
St. John's Technical High School
As always, I am
PS. Don’t forget to spread the word about the 1:16PM Prayer Movement and Around the Word in 180 Days:
• Visit, "like", and add comments the 1:16PM Facebook page and the Around the World in 180 days Facebook page.
• Sign up for text message prayer prompts from Remind 101
• Follow us on Twitter for the prayer prompts @one16pray
May God bless you with success His way this 2015-2016 school year.
Note: To more fully understand the 16-9 Movement, please read the first blog entry by clicking here.
Christian Educators Association International is the only professional association in the United States specifically for Christian educators in public schools. CEAI protects our members first in prayer, next with excellent professional liability insurance and other benefits while helping them live out their high calling as a Christian in the public school.