Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Another Great Read



It’s really cool how we connect with other Christians today. I am always excited to find other Christians in my field and love to connect them.  It always tickles me when they say, “I didn’t know she was a Christian. I didn’t know he was a Christian.”  It happens in every school and every marketplace. Why? There are so many reasons, but the biggest, of course, is fear of losing our jobs.  This is a real fear, but I think we need to start looking at how we can be vehicles of Christianity in the marketplace and how we can be that sweet fragrance of our Lord everywhere we go. Last time I wrote about, “Making a Difference” by Donovan Graham because really grabbed me as a must read.  In fact, I am happy to say that I was able to give 3 copies to teachers at a middle school near me who are going to do their own book study with it.  I know it will transform the way the look at themselves, their colleagues and especially their students. This time I would like to recommend another great book by Angela Watson, “Awakened.” This was one of those amazing connections of our times.  I don’t know Angela at all, but I hooked up with her on her Facebook page – The Cornerstone Devotions for Teachers. As I dug a little deeper, I noticed that she had written a book for teachers also and I found a great review on the Education ReThink blog by a John T. Spencer, a teacher she met at ISTE.  Of course, as I began to look at John’s blog, I noticed that he had a few books too!  I immediately downloaded, “Teaching Unmasked: A Humble Answer to Waiting for A Superhero.” Looks very interesting and I’ll report back after I’ve read it.

In the meantime, I would highly recommend both Angela’s Facebook page and her book.  She has masterfully blended the psychology of teaching and Christianity.  Her subtitle is, “Change Your Mindset to Transform Your Teaching.” I love how she describes her bent to be one of the negative nannies in the teacher’s lounge to a transformation of her own personality with practical and spiritual principles.  She has a gift for being a real teacher and this is a most unique book because it helps the teachers in the trenches relate to the day-to-day difficulties of our profession and to be lifted above the mess.  I would love to meet Angela someday and bring her to one of our Christian Educator events or webinars.  She may be just the gift you need today.

Prayerfully yours,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment